MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Oh, food allergies. . .

I've written a bit about food allergies a while ago, and it seems the time has come to pay closer attention to them once more.  I have successfully and strictly avoided gluten (wheat, spelt, rye, barley, and any food item containing gluten) since June 2009.  At that same time, I learned that I needed to eliminate several other foods as well:  yeast, eggs, oysters, and asparagus.  My doctor was hopeful that I could re-introduce these foods (and possibly the gluten, though that did not prove to be the case).  The reintroduction worked just fine for yeast and somewhat fine for eggs, so long as they were in a baked good and not straight from the skillet.

Unfortunately, the plethora of delicious baked goods (yeast and eggs) that seem to accompany cooler weather and holiday tables is testing my limit.  I think I need to re-eliminate or drastically reduce my exposure to these allergens.  So, the big challenge is back-- what to eat for breakfast?  Gluten-free breads still contain yeast and eggs.  That basically leaves yogurt and gluten-free oatmeal-- though I am not an oatmeal girl.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I'll learn to use quinoa and fruit for breakfast.

4 comments:

  1. Cottage cheese? I used to have this for breakfast everyday. It can be good with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to suggest something I thought was perfect, and then I realized it was primarily made of eggs. :)
    I usually eat leftover lunches and dinners for breakfast. I've never been a big fan of eggs, so it just seemed easier.
    You could try Congee. It's rice cooked into a mush and you can add lots of different things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burritos? They're really fast, and can give you a boost of protein. Black beans, cheese, salsa & greens in a gluten-free tortilla. You could also make some gluten-free granola and eat that with yogurt & fruit. Is it the texture of the oatmeal, or the flavor? You could do polenta instead, if it is the oats & not the mushiness. We struggle with breakfast here too, with a variety of food allergies among us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is one alternative to Gluten Free Oatmeal -
    https://www.ruthshempfoods.com/chia.html
    (I like it better than the oatmeal myself)

    You can also search by allergen here:
    http://www.ener-g.com/
    They have some yeast free, egg free, gluten free products - including bread! Won't be what you're used to, but could be considered a reasonable alternative while the holidays are overwhelming you.

    Also, Van's makes some gluten free, egg free, yeast free, dairy free waffles.
    http://www.vansfoods.com/The_Goods/#/Waffles

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!