MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

To PT or not to PT? A little unsolicited advice.

I couldn't think of a better title; let's blame it on fatigue, shall we? I've been a fervent supporter of chiropractic care at various points in my pregnancies and I certainly don't regret that care now. Nevertheless, I have been seeing a fabulous physical therapist once a week for the past six weeks and whenever I leave her office my shoulders and neck actually feel normal. This is huge, given that I am carrying a baby and hoisting a toddler throughout the day. I think I will be sticking with PT (and perhaps an occasional massage-- I can dream!) for the time being.

I would highly recommend massage to every nursing mother. Make it a priority. Side-lying nursing is a sanity-saver in the middle of the night, but assuming this position almost every night for over two years has wreaked havoc on my shoulder and neck. I wish it had occurred to me to try out PT when Evelyn was a baby. Though the sessions are an hour long, much longer than the fifteen minute chiropractic adjustments, I've found that babies are usually welcome and the relief is worth the hassle!

2 comments:

  1. Can you email me where you're going? The chiropractor didn't seem to help with my issues much and I've been considering trying PT or massage. I'm glad it's helping you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you email me as well. Do you just find a PT or did you get a referral. I'm having serious issues with my hands/wrists and it's getting really bad. I've been struggling with a decision to go to a chiropractor. I don't have a great doctor and I'm changing that but I know I'll need something else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!