MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Here comes the sun

Evelyn and I had some much needed quality time today while Henry took a morning nap. It was so wonderful to see her sweet smile and hear her giggle as we played toss, her new favorite game. We also had an impromptu dance party. Later, when Henry woke up, Evelyn surprised us by carrying Daddy's guitar into the family room for a jam session. I was put on tambourine duty. Henry was delighted to chew on the crinkly wing of a toy butterfly and smile at us. I felt awake and clear-headed in a way that I haven't really felt since my second trimester of pregnancy with Henry.

I am so glad that I spoke up about PPD and about the panic attacks I was experiencing. My naturopath, my counselor, my husband, and I were able to come up with a good treatment plan. While some aspects of that plan are unique to my needs-- and therefore personal-- I think that other aspects, like finding high quality support and taking time out of the day for me to recharge, are critical and should be shared.

I know that I'll continue to be tired, like any mother of an infant and a toddler. I will still have days that drag on. But!-- I will also continue to have good days as well and this rediscovered sense of hope and optimism is quenching a thirst I thought was here to stay. If postpartum depression and anxiety had stranded me on a lonely stretch of land, it feels safe to say that I can now see the other side of the lake.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful this all sounds. I'm glad that your treatment plan is working for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!