Our house is basically buzzing with energy these days. Henry has been smiling and giggling; my sweet Evelyn is just as happy and energetic as ever. Unfortunately, I have found myself in a familiar but extremely uncomfortable place.
I am struggling with postpartum depression. I think of PPD as a trench and I know that I can climb out of it. I am working to create "steps" to help me back to myself. For me, PPD manifests largely as a spike in general anxiety and panic. Because my anxiety "baseline" is higher than usual, things that would ordinarily lead to frustration end up leading to moments of panic. These moments are not at convenient times (stuck in a traffic jam on the highway, for instance).
If you've never experienced a panic attack, imagine that you are drowning. You recognize that you are drowning, but in a split second-- before you're able to think logically-- you gasp for air and take in more water. It's terrifying, this dry drowning that is panic. I know that it will get better. Things became much better after Evelyn hit the six month mark and then even better at twelve months postpartum. Still, that is a long time (at least two more months, probably longer) to live like this, wondering if a panic attack is lurking around every corner. I've taken action and I am not going to pretend that I feel fantastic right now. There are a lot of very joyful moments in every day and I will continue to embrace them and be the best mother I can be to my beautiful children. And, I will continue to look forward to the day when I am once again comfortable in my own skin.
Sorry to hear, Lins...emotional difficulties are some of the worst, it seems. I've suffered with anxiety, depression, OCD (I'm mostly over this one...), for a good majority of my life...and it's definitely not easy or fun!! I hope you get through this quickly... :) I know you will!!
ReplyDeletelove,
Kristi
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this again. Hopefully the increased social circle you have this time will help make it easier for you this time.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry that you are struggling with this. I think it's great that you recognized this and taking the steps to take care of yourself. Let me know if there is anything that you need. I'd be happy to help.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Lindsey! Have you found anything that particularly helps?
ReplyDeleteI'm trying a homeopathic from my naturopath and seeing my counselor once a week for a little while. The plan is to find some good support for the afternoons (hardest part of the day, as both kids need me to get down to nap at the same time and so poor Evelyn ends up not getting her nap) just for the next two months or so in order to really treat this and not let it get more out of control.
ReplyDelete