MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Evelyn: writer in training

Evelyn has been able recognize her name in writing for at least a few months. She's now working on writing it herself. This task is much trickier she expected. She knows that the letter "E" involves one vertical line and then she counts "1, 2, 3" for the three little horizontal lines, but we end up with something looking like a circle and squiggles. It's very cute. She gets a little discouraged though, so I let her take the lead on how much practicing and "writing" and tracing she likes to do.

Chris and I are both avid readers, when we have a spare moment anyway. Evelyn has been especially interested in the books we are reading. She likes to hold them (yes, sometimes they're upside down) and she asks what the words mean. I love that her interest in writing and reading is growing. We've been able to read longer stories, poems, and make up our own stories more often. One book that is sure to become our new favorite is The Little Island by Margaret Wise Brown. It's beautiful and I love it as much as she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!