MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Milestone!

On Saturday, we threw a little party for Evelyn to celebrate the end of our nursing relationship. Evelyn and Chris picked out a big bumblebee balloon and some fun napkins of Evelyn's choosing. We had a gluten-free chocolate cake and she blew out two candles (over two years of nursing). We've been talking a lot about weaning and what it means, so while Evelyn did not completely come to this decision on her own, I knew that she was receptive to it. I also know that it was the right time for me and for us. I've been emotionally and physically drained from round-the-clock nursing with Henry and Evelyn. It was especially difficult trying to nurse Evelyn down for naps (didn't work out more than half of the time and she was cranky for the rest of the day) and bed (usually when Henry needed me as well). I did have tandem nursing figured out, but Evelyn didn't like to share when it came time to nurse for bed and so that was not a good option for us. I've read and talked and researched and thought and this is the right choice for us.

I feel a little bit of "Mama guilt" because I know that some moms tandem nurse happily for a year or more and I fully support that. Nevertheless, I did nurse Evelyn (exclusively until about eight or nine months, when she began to play with an occasional solid) for the first two years and three months of her life. It was not super easy or second nature during the first couple of weeks, but I never gave up. It did become the most natural thing in the world and I firmly believe that nursing my daughter on demand is one of the reasons she's had such excellent health and she's been so well-adjusted.

Now, a little more than two years later, there were a number of reasons that all mixed together and made weaning a good decision for our family. I wondered if weaning might affect our relationship, but as I rocked Evelyn to sleep for nap today without nursing or falling asleep in the car (for the first time ever!!!!!!!), I smiled to myself. I think that being a source of safety, comfort, and nourishment for Evelyn has given us a rock solid foundation for our relationship. I plan to nurse Henry for at least two years and as long as we both mutually desire beyond that, so I am certainly not trading in my nursing bras any time soon! And, speaking of nursing, this weekend marks the Washington La Leche League conference and I am very excited to participate (with Henry).

6 comments:

  1. Way to go on 27months of nursing E. That is a wonderful thing. It sounds like the timing was right for both of you and worked out very well.

    I like that you had a little party! What a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to celebrate your accomplishment, and Evelyn's growing. I'm glad nap worked out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a loevly idea, to have a party! We had a party for Jenna the day David was born ("Big Sister Day") and I know that helped make our big transition a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing mom, Lindsey! You kids are so blessed to have you. Love the party idea and YAY for that first nap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post comes at a good time for me because I keep thinking that it's time for me to wean Molly. The "mommy guilt" is HUGE for me since Molly loves it so much. But I am done, done, and DONE. I like the party idea. I wonder if this might help for Molly. I'm trying to get her down to nursing once per day and will go from there ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great that you were able to give her these last few months while also nursing Henry, I am sure that she appreciated that. I know how you feel about the "mommy love" but that relationship is well established and you will always be a source of comfort for her, even without the "mama nurse"! I love the idea of a party, that is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!