I remember the first time I read the words stretch marks and beautiful in the same sentence, it was during my first reading of Ina May Gaskin's book Spiritual Midwifery. She said something that gave me pause. I'll have to quote from memory, as I've lent my copy to my dear (beautifully pregnant) sister: "I know of no fool-proof way to prevent stretch marks and I find them beautiful" (emphasis mine). Many of us have heard the lamentations of our mothers, sisters, friends, and our own voices as we disparage the marks left on our bodies after pregnancy (or any period of fast development). The notion that these marks could possibly be signs of strength or beauty feels a bit revolutionary in light of our self-conscious and image-obsessed culture. Still, I think it is such a healthy idea. I think we should embrace it and talk about it and hand it off to our daughters.
During my first pregnancy I came across a website called The Shape of a Mother. To be honest, I was a little shocked initially. I'd never seen such raw and honest images of women. It inspired me to take pride in the strength and ability of my body to carry a healthy pregnancy and actively bring forth life. The proudest moments in my life are also the times I felt completely in tune with my body and absolutely comfortable in my own skin. I wish more women were encouraged to revel in their strength and see their beauty in light of what their bodies can do and have done rather than the harsh lights of a fitting room at the local mall.
Thank you for this. We are all imperfect, and we are all beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI can and will continue to call my stretch marks my most beautiful and meaningful tattoo.
ReplyDelete