MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Mama cooks: Brownies from scratch

Yum!
Evelyn and I recently made these brownies.  I was especially eager to try this recipe because brownies (especially the gluten-free variety) normally contain quite a few eggs.  One recipe I found called for six of them!  As I love brownies, but do not love feeling ill after eating them, I turned to my new favorite cookbook.

Gluten-free vegan brownies (also soy-free) from Susan O'Brien's cookbook.
Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups organic sugar
1 cup applesauce
1 banana, peeled and mashed
1 1/8 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Substitute
2 tablespoons warm water
1 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour (I substituted sorghum flour because that's what I had on hand) 
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (I omitted the walnuts because we didn't have any)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease an eight inch square pan (I used a dairy-free spread).  In large mixing bowl, add the oil and sugar, add the applesauce, mashed banana.  Whisk 2 TBSP warm water with 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G (really dissolve the powder!) and add to mix.  Add the cocoa powder and mix to blend.  In separate bowl sift together the flours, baking soda, xanthan gum, and the salt.  Combine the dry and wet ingredients and blend them well. Do not over beat.  Mix in by hand vegan chocolate chips and walnuts.  Spread evenly in greased pan.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes-- the brownies should be gooey and moist, so a toothpick may not come up perfectly clean.  Let cool for five minutes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!