Evelyn was frustrating me this afternoon. I planned to introduce the idea of napping in a crib to Henry so I rocked and nursed and bounced him. I had explained that Evelyn could rest in her bedroom and wait for me (listening to a book on CD) or play quietly in the playroom. She chose to wail outside Henry's door. Clearly, he couldn't sleep through the random knocks at the door and the whining of his big sister. He began to fuss. Finally, I opened the door and started to tell Evelyn-- in my very unhappy Mommy voice-- that she needed to go elsewhere and be quiet so that Henry could sleep.
Evelyn peaked out the window and said, "Mama, why don't we just go for a walk?" I paused. She repeated, "Let's take Henry for a walk." Despite my fatigue and the drizzly weather, I couldn't come up with a better solution for the three of us. I agreed and Evelyn ran to put on her coat and shoes by herself. I wore Henry (who fell asleep within five minutes) on my back in the Ergo and pushed a very happy toddler in the jogging stroller for about two miles until the rain began to come down quite hard. It seems Evelyn won't get a nap today, but at least Henry gets to have some rest.
Great idea Evelyn. I'm glad you all had a nice walk.
ReplyDeleteIt's a tough transition. I'm glad you found something that helped yesterday.
ReplyDelete