This evening marked our second outing as a family of four. It was much longer than our first-- almost four hours. Henry and I took a little nap before we left (while Evelyn and Chris played with bubbles, had some snack, and watched an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine), so I felt pretty energized. I needed to pick up a few items at a maternity shop and Henry was happily sleeping in his car seat, so Chris and Evelyn stayed in the car with Henry while I ran into the store for about fifteen minutes. It was actually quite nice to do something by myself outside of the house! We headed to dinner next.
Evelyn chose an Indian restaurant (it was a choice between Thai, Mexican, and Indian since each of these options involves gluten-free friendly foods and rice, which Evelyn adores). She and Chris played at a kids' outdoor music play area and rode the escalator while I changed Henry and settled him into the Moby wrap. He slept through almost all of dinner and I was able to help him latch on and nurse while we paid the bill. He nursed as we walked over to the ice cream shop. Evelyn and I split a dish of ice cream and I think she helped Chris finish his as well. She was quite a happy girl! I was amazed at how well our evening was going. I was getting a little sore from all of the walking and the stairs, but in general, we were all having a great time.
Unfortunately, Henry was pretty wide awake by the time we were ready to leave. Wide awake Henry, it turns out, does not enjoy being strapped into the car seat. Evelyn didn't like it either when she was a baby. We ended up nursing in the car for about fifteen minutes, having another diaper change, nursing some more and then finally deciding to just head home. It seems that the days of hopping into the car and making a speedy exit have once again disappeared for a while. We made it home pretty late, certainly after Evelyn's usual bedtime. She took it all in stride; I think she was just thrilled to be out together as a family. I am so proud of how well Evelyn is adjusting to her new brother.
Bubbles!
Out to dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!