MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Post-partum adventures

A couple of days ago, I was washing my hair and I accidentally used face wash instead of conditioner. I realized my mistake, laughed a little because I was so tired and then did it again. The third time was a charm and I located the actual conditioner. Where am I going with this? Ah, yes-- fatigue. It's really not bad most of the time but sometimes a wave of sleepiness just comes crashing up against me. Fortunately, I am able to take a decent nap most afternoons. This comes in handy because I'm usually awake several times at night with Henry. Henry is a sweet, relaxed newborn and he's still a little guy so we nurse frequently. His stomach is only the size of a large walnut, so I can hardly blame him for feeling hungry an hour after eating. One of the fabulous things about co-sleeping is that I don't have to leave the comfort of my bed to nurse my baby at night-- this makes it much easier to fall back asleep.*

I have to say that the occasional new baby fatigue is still not as strong as the "pregnant and taking care of a busy toddler" fatigue. Perhaps this will change a little when Chris is 100% back at work, so I'll knock on wood as I admit that I feel wonderful most of the time (even if my body is still a little sore . . . something about a nine-pound baby born twelve days ago).

I am working on a gift for my midwives-- who have been fantastic throughout both of my pregnancies and births. Any ideas besides flowers?

*Other benefits of co-sleeping can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Donate things they need for the birthcenter. Nice shampoo and conditioner for immediately post partum moms, they ALWAYS need white towel (might want to ask what type they prefer), kneeling garden pads for dads kneeling around tubs waiting for babes, unscented white candles, and anything they use in the birthcenter for births.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a massage for the midwives. Otherwise some nice little silver frames with a picture of each of your children at birth? Then if they prefer not to have those specific photos in them they can still use the frames. You are so thoughtful Lindsey and I envy what you have... the ability to be a full-time wife and mother to two beautiful children is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!