MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lactogenesis II: let's talk about nursing!

It sounds like a thrilling science fiction movie, but really Lactogenesis II is once again at the center of my days (and nights). One of the many benefits of extending breastfeeding is that I had plenty of colostrum and even a little milk before Henry was born. As was the case when Evelyn was a newborn, my body is making a ton of milk. Henry is a very satisfied newborn and my body is left with copious amounts of milk after each nursing session. This milk production will self-regulate soon. It often regulates quite a bit within a matter of days, but based on past experience, I expect it to take up to a couple of weeks.

This time around, I know that I shouldn't pump to empty the breast after the baby has had his fill as that just signals my body to continue making such large amounts of milk (and therefore, the engorgement continues for a much longer period of time). I have pumped a couple of times just to bring a little relief, but only for about two minutes. My freezer already has a few little bags of breast milk tucked in the back. I'm looking forward to the "maintenance" stage of milk supply, as it's just more comfortable but I have to say that I am so grateful and amazed that our bodies are designed to sustain our little ones. I was so proud when I looked at Evelyn, plump and healthy at six months when all of her nutrition came from me-- and even at a year when the majority of her calories were still from breast milk. Now, as Evelyn says, "it's Henry's turn to Mama-nurse!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!