MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Monday, June 28, 2010

No need to hide

Before Evelyn was born, I knew that I would breastfeed. In fact, I knew that I would nurse my baby until she was ready to wean and I hoped to make it at least to the two year mark, as recommended by the World Health Organization. I also knew that unless we hid inside the house all day, I would nurse in public. She is a summer baby, so although I tried a nursing cover once or twice, it was clear from her sweaty little head that it was jut too hot to essentially put her inside a "tent" while she ate. The backseat of the car was much to stuffy to sit and nurse without the engine-- and air conditioning-- running. So I stopped trying to hide and by the time Evelyn was 6 weeks old, I finally realized that 99% of the time, no one batted an eyelash when we nursed in public. I didn't use nursing covers or blankets (unless, as Evelyn got older, she was too distracted by her surroundings to nurse).

We live in a pretty baby-friendly and nursing-friendly part of the country. Nevertheless, the few times that someone has offered to help me "make myself more comfortable" while nursing, I inevitably felt uncomfortable. Good intentions can result in mixed messages. When Evelyn was two months old, for instance, I was shopping in an upscale kitchen store for a gift. She became fussy and I looked for a place to nurse. I wasn't yet fluent in the language of nursing while walking around with my babe in a sling. A sweet saleswoman offered the chair in the test kitchen and I settled in and nursed my daughter. I remember smiling to myself and thinking that this was such a great shop, very baby-friendly, when suddenly I felt a damp cloth on my shoulder. The saleswoman had returned with a dishtowel so that I could "make myself more comfortable." Far from comfortable, I was grossed out by the towel and I felt slightly self-conscious. I was really too shocked to respond with anything more than a forced smile.

Evelyn is now 23 1/2 months old and we have nursed on a ferry, on airplanes, and in terminals. We've nursed in backseats of cars and on the grass at the playground. Cafes, restaurants, ice cream shops, movie theaters, Church, office buildings . . . if she was hungry or needed special comfort because she was hurt or tired or just wanted some comfort, I did what I hope any mother would do. I responded in a loving way. I nursed my little girl.

Now that Henry is here, I am again spending much of time with a babe at the breast. I am more confident this time around and I try to keep things in perspective. I am well aware that the world does not revolve around me. When I walk out the door in the morning, I don't expect neighbors or passers by to stop and gawk at me-- an occasional friendly smile or a "good morning" is much more likely. This is generally the case when I am out in public with my children. I don't expect to be confronted about nursing. I go about my day. I mother my babies.

2 comments:

  1. What do you wear for nursing clothes? I have gotten tired of the Glamourmom tanks. I've been wearing these off and on for over three years and I need something new. Have you found anything that you especially like?

    I think you have a great attitude about NIP. It really is just about going about our day and feeding our babies. This is a very BFing friendly area too which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best solution I've come up with is wearing a regular tank or cami under anything I'd normally wear. This way when I lift my shirt on one side, my abdomen is completely covered and the shirt I've raised covers the top part of my breast. When nursing in a carrier or sling, I just lower my top at the neckline.

    I've looked into Glamourmom tanks, but can't seem to find any that aren't extra long.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!