Our kitchen is out of commission for the day while it undergoes a lovely transformation (just paint, no structural or appliance changes!). I realize that the kitchen is the "heart" of many homes, but our kitchen is actually a large kitchen and family room combination, so it really is the center of our house. Needless to say, I've been planning creative ways to keep Evelyn out of the kitchen. Our main living room currently acts as our play room, so she has been more than happy to spend time in the play room. The fact that I have been giving her hours of one-on-one play time (rather than darting in and out of whatever room we are in to complete a multitude of daily tasks) sweetens the whole deal. She actually hasn't even tried to venture into the kitchen or family room without me.
Today, Evelyn took an early nap-- before she had even eaten lunch. I was thinking that we might need to go out for lunch, which I actually dreaded because I knew it would be a cranky car ride (hungry toddler strapped into a car seat, wondering why we were not eating lunch at home). Lucky for Evelyn, I managed to access a few things in the kitchen and scrounge together an indoor picnic for her. She was thrilled! Evelyn was very proud to hold her plate on her lap and eat almond butter bread and applesauce: "I'm holding my plate on my lap! Almond butter! Yum!" And then she announced, "I having a picnic!"
How sweet!
ReplyDelete