MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Precious Time

I am listening to Tori Amos ("Gold Dust") and so in the interest of full disclosure I will say that her music always leaves me in a reflective mood.  I'm sure that I have already mentioned that this year has been a year of extremes.  It has been the most intense, most (physically and mentally) demanding, longest, and shortest time period I've encountered.*

Life shows no sign of slowing down, though I have learned (with help from all of those lovey Mama hormones, no doubt) to relax more often and to cherish the people in life and not the things.  One look at my desk, or my kitchen counters, and you will realize that keeping my house show-room ready is just not high on my priority list these days.  Still, I get the feeling that this precious pool of time filled with soft baby skin and big gummy smiles is slipping away, drop by drop.  I'll be another year older this week, but the upcoming birthday that sends shivers down my spine is my daughter's.  The eleventh of July.  I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to celebrate her birth and spend the day making her giggle and perhaps decorate with a few whimsical accessories.  But the day still marks the passage of time.  

Our families live on the East Coast.  Some in the South, most in New York and Mass., all of them a good seven-hour plane ride away.  I want to share this beautiful day with our parents and sisters and brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, friends . . . .  The good news is that my in-laws will be lovingly traveling out for the blessed day.  We are so grateful that they are willing to deal with the airport hassle.  I can't wait to see them!  Now if only I can come up some sort of "Evelyn's Best Day Ever" itinerary for her birthday, I'll be set.  E's current favorite things include:  playing outside in sand or grass, splashing water, playing in tunnels and tents, other babies, her parents, and cheese.  That last one is a recent development and honestly not the best party theme when not paired with wine! 


*Last year comes in as a close second in roller coaster rides of change and stress, Chris and I moved across the country, planned a wedding long-distance, got married (across the country again) and moved again.  And then we began our family!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!