My cold has become a wicked sore throat and it's certainly outlasted its welcome. Unfortunately, this leaves me with less energy and less patience than I usually need for our day-to-day routines and activites. After our walk around the neighborhood and some play time in the back yard this morning, we came into the kitchen for snack. Evelyn had a small homemade brownie and some milk while Henry fussed in my arms. He was ready for his afternoon nap. I decided to grab a quick lunch for myself while Evelyn finished her snack, but Henry's flailing arms nixed that idea. My rice crackers (an entire package) landed all over the kitchen floor.
Usually, I stay calm and pretty positive in the midst of accidents like this. This time, however, I said "Oh no!" without thinking. Evelyn must have decided that I looked pretty distraught. She said "It's OK, Mom. I'll help you clean it up. It's just an accident. Sometimes people spill crackers. It's OK." She hopped down from her chair and began scooping up crackers. We swept the floor together. Her compassion totally made me feel better. It was nice to have some help. It was also just so validating to see that Chris and I must be doing something right to be raising such a considerate and thoughtful daughter (most of the time, that is).
How great that she knew just what to say and do. I hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that validation nice? :) You're doing lots right for sure!
ReplyDelete