MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mama cooks: it's a regular thing now!

Tofu Chili

Nursing and chopping vegetables (and taking a photo).
Cooking is quickly becoming a rather enjoyable-- and tasty-- activity for me.  If it's old hat for you, I hope you'll humor me if I express undue enthusiasm.  And remember, when I cook I am still an attached Mama who tries to meet the needs of two small children.

I do try to prepare some of the ingredients here and there when I find a couple of seconds.  For instance, if it's about 4:00 and I find my hands (miraculously) are free, I might pull out whatever pot or pan or glass bowl I think I'll need for dinner.  If Henry is napping, I encourage Evelyn to play with her dollhouse or work on an art project (or, if I am desperate, I put on a Sesame Street Counting DVD ) and I am able to do the bulk of the preparation and cooking.  When I have more time, I am more likely to attempt a dish that requires more than three ingredients.  Lately, I've been living on the wild side.  Onions, green peppers, garlic, chili paste. . . they all made it into my meals.

In fact, speaking of ingredients, would you have thought to include carrots in your chili?  This was a new concept for me, I usually add corn when making a chili.  I found a delicious, protein-packed, chili in The Gluten-Free Vegan (Susan O'Brien) and the carrots did pleasantly surprise.

"Tofu Chili"

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 pound extra-firm tofu, cubed
 2 (15-ounce) cans beans (1 can each black and red kidney)  I used two cans of red kidney beans.
1 (28-ounce) can diced or chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper

Saute the onion, pepper, garlic, and carrots in the oil, in a deep skillet or dutch oven, over medium-high heat.   Once the onion becomes soft, 4 to 5 minutes, add the tofu and continue to saute for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, chile powder, and red pepper flakes (I'll admit that I was too chicken to add the red pepper flakes).  Bring this mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until cooked through.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  You could serve this with cornbread (I often make a gluten-free cornbread from a Bob's Red Mill mix, but I served this with corn tortilla chips instead). 

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I've learned to enjoy cooking quite a bit, too. It's an new adventure for me as well.

    Love the multitasking picture ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrots in my chili. They are good in spaghetti sauce too.
    I'm glad you are finding joy in cooking. And I love your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrots in chili are good! My husband also puts them in the tofu dish that he made tonight and in his spaghetti sauce too. They are delicious! :) I'm glad that you are enjoying cooking. My husband is the cook in our family, but I will sometimes make lasagne and I always feel very proud of myself when I do. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!