MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My little marrionette


Today, we took the kids on a much-anticpated outing.  Evelyn had a chance to try ice skating and she loved it!  For the past two months, Evelyn has been asking to skate.  We have a couple of books that involve skate boards, roller skates, and ice skates and Evelyn likes to pretend to "skate" in her slippery socks (or standing on two sheets of paper) on the hardwood floors.

Evelyn was beside herself at the thought of lacing up actual skates.  Little did we know, the skate rentals were single (rather than the easier to balance double) blades and the smallest size available was about three sizes too big.  Oh well, we're an easy going family-- for the most part-- and we made it work!  I was surprised that Evelyn enjoyed herself as much as she did, as we mostly held her up by the hands or underarms while her feet slipped wildly beneath her in a sort of jig.  I felt a bit like a puppeteer.  Still, it was a lot of fun for her and I'm thankful that, after such anticipation, the experience was positive.  I'm sure that as she develops her gross motor skills and her coordination, she will have many years of successful ice skating ahead of her!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you all had a good time. Let me know if you find a place that rents the double bladed skates.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!