MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

My girl

Evelyn has a pretty good understanding of what is going on in terms of my pregnancy. She knows that her baby brother is growing but that he'll be ready to be born soon. She knows that "soon" does not mean "today" but that it's something on our radar. She talks a lot about how she is becoming an older sister. Evelyn asks to "see baby brother" every day-- this entails lifting up my shirt so she can give a kiss to my belly. It is so sweet to hear Evelyn talk through all of the pregnancy and baby happenings. It really caught me off-guard though to hear the very thoughtful, serious tone in her voice this evening when I explained (again) that she would get to spend time with a friend and her Mommy (I mentioned two possible friends by name) while her baby brother is born. Evelyn's reply was brief (for her): "OK, Mama" but her eyes looked a little worried.

I explained that she wouldn't be staying with her friends for very long (not even overnight unless some kind of emergency comes up) and that she would come and see us as soon as her brother was "all the way born" (I couldn't think of a better way to phrase this for a toddler). I think she was worried for a moment that we'd be sending her away. Actually, if I labor at night, our plan is to just give a "head's up" to our friends that we might need help with Evelyn. If she is asleep, we'll just let her sleep in her own bed and then call for some back-up help when she wakes in the morning. Of course, I have no way of knowing for sure how it will come together, so I am trying to just relax and trust that everything will come together in a way that keeps Evelyn secure and comfortable and allows me the space to have this baby safely and peacefully. I gave Evelyn extra cuddles and kisses tonight-- she is still my baby girl after all.

1 comment:

  1. I have some special things planned for if she does need to come over. I know it will be a little bit of a worry for her, but we will have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!