By nature, I am a multi-tasker. When I am home, I usually have at least three tasks going on at any given moment -- loading dishwasher, then dryer, while stirring soup on the stove and singing to Evelyn. I think that most mothers of little ones will tell you that this isn't unusual. But I have a tough time sitting still even when I have a chance to relax. I haven't practiced active relaxation even once during this pregnancy. (To be honest, I didn't practice too often during my first pregnancy either, but there were definitely plenty of opportunities to unwind.) Anyway, it is fair to say that our house is almost always in good enough condition for casual entertaining and I like my sinks to shine. For whatever reason, I an mentally uncomfortable with the idea of sitting down and relaxing when there are other things that need doing. Evelyn and I keep a fairly full calendar of events which generally works for both of us-- we like to socialize (and I need to keep busy!).
Lately, however, my body is not happy to keep up with my demands. Lifting Evelyn up to her car seat/ swing/ shopping cart/ booster seat/ bed/ sink (you name it!) about 487 times every day is no fun. Lifting other tots up to the sink at Toddler Group each week is especially difficult. Bags of groceries, loads of laundry, and lugging the vacuum cleaner around . . . well, I don't want to complain. Let's just say I've realized that I need to cut back on some of the running around.
Today, for instance, Evelyn and I stayed home most of the day. I still did loads of household work but we also made time to just cuddle. We went for a long, lovely walk through our neighborhood and played outside in the yard. Evelyn was more than happy to hang out at home and spend time in her play room. I think this could be a step in the right direction-- learning to stay home, learning to just be without getting antsy. I imagine this skill will come in handy when Baby Boy is born. I'm still happy to get out of the house, of course, but maybe we'll start having one or two days at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!