"Organic" vs "Conventional"- let's go there.
I have a question.
Let's set aside, for a moment, the major argument about whether or not organic food is healthier than conventionally farmed food. (If you'd rather not click through the links right away, the first offers the idea that organic is indeed healthier and the second links to the Mayo Clinic's pronouncement that there is no discernible difference when it comes to health). I actually think that the fact that conventional farming methods are inherently unsustainable is basis enough to support alternative methods. But I will concede that "conventional" does not necessarily mean "poisonous" and it really isn't the end of the world to consume a cheap drive-thru meal now and again.
I know I am in danger of sounding awfully elitist, but I agree with the folks that argue that food shouldn't be a cheap afterthought in our budget. Food is a necessity to life and to good health, it makes sense that we should allocate more resources to obtain quality food than we would to entertain ourselves or accumulate more things. "Should" probably sounds a bit like a four letter word here, but hear me out. Yes, everyone has a fundamental right to food. I absolutely support food banks and charitable organizations like Oxfam. Cheap food, however, isn't the way to ensure that everyone actually has food. Farmers are often paid below production costs and rely on government subsidies (I promise not to ramble on about government spending issues, I'll stay on task!). Farmers are increasingly going out of business, unable to provide for their own families.
Let's also be sure to clarify what qualifies as "food." High-fructose corn syrup is not food, neither is a bag of chips with artificial cheese flavoring-- hello, delicious Doritos! Food remembers where it came from. Unfortunately, real food is often not the most affordable option, for a couple of reasons. First, locally-sourced sustainable and organic agriculture often comes from relatively small farms (especially in comparison to huge agribusinesses). When you're producing less, you need to charge a bit more in order to continue to pay your employees and do all of the things that keep your business afloat. Second, many people are convinced that organic food is healthier food and they are willing to pay the higher prices. There are more nuanced reasons of course, if you'd like to do a bit of research.
Lofty ideals (and very real issues) aside, the organic vs. conventional food debate often boils down to price. As a society, we often expect a gallon of milk or a bunch of bananas to cost a couple of dollars and we cringe at the thought of spending a little more. I hate that pricey food is a status symbol-- luxury cars fill the parking lots at both our local organic co-op grocery store and our nearest Whole Foods Market. It has always been a sign of prosperity to have a bounty of good (and often expensive) food. Is that why we feel we need to broadcast our food choices? Perhaps we'd like to subtly, or not so subtly, show our affluence. I've recently tried to pay more attention when sharing a recipe or a meal idea with friends and family. Although I choose to purchase locally-sourced food whenever possible and stock my cupboards and refrigerator with organic products, I have mostly stopped including the words "organic" and "local" to describe my meals because they really are loaded words. Sure, it's a great topic of conversation with close friends or folks with similar convictions, but there comes a point when all of the back-patting just seems a bit self-aggrandizing.
So, here is the question. Perhaps it seems rhetorical, but I am truly interested in hearing your responses: Is it condescending (or snobbish/rude) to announce that the food you're serving your guests is organic or (the holy grail!) local and organic? And, perhaps a trickier question: Is it rude to ask if the food you're offered by a friend or dinner host is organic?
I would say all of those things are probably rude, unless you know that's an interest and belief you have in common, with a big caveat. I have a number of friends with very serious and/or very odd food allergies, and I think it's more rude to not let your host know well in advance what you can and cannot eat, provided you are prepared to offer to bring a helpful addition to the meal.
ReplyDeleteSo, if it's really important to someone to only eat organic or local, then they should talk to the host before they show up for dinner, and offer to bring something to share that they are willing to eat.
I don't think it should be that way though. We are very touchy as a society about food. The idea that it's snobbish to want to eat food that is better for yourself or the planet ties in with a lot of the prejudice there seems to be about other 'liberal' ideas. Wanting to make things better for the future shouldn't be seen as something only the elite are worried about, especially since a lot of ways you can green your life, including shopping at available farmer's markets for your produce, will lower your costs. Yes, a bag of Doritos provides more calories per dollar then a head of lettuce, but a head of lettuce at a farmer's market will usually cost less then a head of lettuce at a grocery store.
I think that the level of snobbishness depends on the delivery. If the it is said in a way that shows your excitement for organic foods rather than condescension toward non-organic/local foods, then I think it is just fine. It can be a way to open an interesting conversation. I am actually taking a class right now that discusses sustainability and over the last 5 weeks, I've begun to change my own views on that subject. So, sometimes just providing an opening can inspire others. The key is to leave the judgment out of it.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting topic, Lins!! Hits close to home, as you know my grandpa is a farmer! The problem with our "cheap" dairy products, fruit, veggies, etc., is that it's so cheap that the farmer's go out of business! In Brazil, food is far more expensive, and farmers in Brazil, in general, are filthy rich. (probably too rich). We have gotten too accustomed to our cheap, processed, corn syrup loaded, packaged to last months food. (I'm the most guilty ever...I LOVE all of that horrible "junk food" and was put out when I lived in Brazil about how much more expensive it was than in the US!!) However, even when prices to increase (milk for example) it is still very rare that the farmers see an increase in their profits. On to the topic of organic...I think it is very interesting, but has really become more of a "fad" for man rather than really for health reasons. Obviously not for everyone...but as you said, in many instances it has become a sign of wealth and affluence. It is understandable that organic food is quite a bit more expensive than "regular" produce or dairy, as the farms that have turned to organic farming undergo massive amounts of work and rigorous regulations to be considered organic. To turn a conventional farm into an organic one takes years and years. So often, the farms have little if any income for years, while the overhead is high! And the crops they produce are limited, due to the lack of pesticides! Most organic farmers end up losing a large portion of their crops. SO, it only makes sense that it would be more expensive! But to have it become, as you said, a "status symbol" is just ridiculous! But...it has!
ReplyDeleteSo on to your questions. I don't think it is condescending to let your guests know that you support local farms. I think it's quite nice! Whenever I see anyone drink upstate milk, I proudly announce that it comes from my grandfather's farm! It's nice to support local businesses. I think it's all in the way you say it. However, I don't think I would ever ask someone who has invited me over for dinner if the food is organic. That's probably pushing it a little too much! UNLESS, you are vehemently against "regular" (meaning non-organic) food products, and won't under any circumstance eat anything non organic...then maybe politely explain beforehand...and offer to bring something to share!?