My little girl is going to have a scar. It will be on her face, above the the sweetly arched eyebrows and big blue eyes. Hopefully, with time it will fade. We'll keep it out of the sun as best we can. Still, I hate that it is there and I am helpless.
Evelyn tripped into our Radio Flyer wagon over the weekend and when she screamed I felt it in my gut that something was wrong. I watched her as she ran in bright yellow boots across the grass. I saw her as she fell but I couldn't protect her. When I scooped her up into my arms and carried her in the house, I was shaking. I'd never seen a deep laceration in person before. My husband, who is one of three boys, assured me that he'd seen worse. Still, my baby is two years old and it looked like she missing part of her forehead. It was upsetting.
The cut has been stitched and the doctor has told us that it is healing nicely. I'm keeping it covered by a bandage. It is hard to look at, to be honest, and so it remains covered. For now, at least I can protect her from unwanted comments or questions. Evelyn is quite mature, socially, and she is incredibly perceptive. She is also brave (she held completely still while the doctor "fixed" her boo-boo in the Emergency Room) and confident and I know that this scar won't hold her back. Hopefully it will heal quickly.
Sparky had a bad cut on her forehead just before she turned 2 that I can see and always find with my finger, but it seems I'm the only one. It was an ER visit cut and she had a concussion from the fall (almost certainly). It is hard to think about, but kid skin heals differently than adult skin so hopefully that will minimize the physical scar.
ReplyDeleteI believe that scars give us character. They remind us of what we can survive and overcome. Both my kids already have scars. (Amelia has had her head/face split twice - both were glued rather than stitched because of the location.) I tell them to be proud of them. I have scars that I am proud of. They remind me that it is the imperfections that make us interesting. I bet she'll all good in no time. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, Lindsey. :( I remember when Alice fell down the stairs - right in front of me - and I was terrified and thinking that there was nothing I could do to stop it, nothing I could do to protect her.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I actually have a scar on my forehead. It was a fairly big injury when I got it as a baby, but it looks so small now.