MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Possible Solution to the Witching Hour: Toddler-Wearing

As the oldest of four children, I had my share of "second mother" responsibilities-- often self-imposed.  Evelyn loves to be a helper, but I try to be mindful of any added responsibility I give to Evelyn.  I want to be sure that what I request is in line with what she can reasonably do.  Sometimes I need to remember that she is just 3 1/2 years old-- especially in the late afternoons when she is tired. 

When Henry gets fussy in the evening, I occasionally wear him in the Ergo carrier on my back while I cook dinner or finish whatever household task I am working on.  The carrier keeps him from crying at my legs and often calms him down.  I stopped wearing Evelyn  about halfway through my pregnancy with Henry.  I stopped regularly carrying her shortly after Henry's birth, when I realized I was over-taxing my body.  Still, the thought crossed my mind the other night:  what if I offer some "back pack time" to Evelyn?

Ordinarily, if Evelyn is just done with the day, she cries easily and needs some space away from her little brother's grabbing hands.  She plays in her bedroom sometimes, but lately she's been prone to just crying or yelling in the family room.  It upsets Henry and it is very stressful for all us.  I asked if she'd like to come up the Ergo and she calmed down instantly.  I think the novelty of the offer helped.  She loved cuddling against my back.  Henry, however, was jealous and insisted I hold him too.  This didn't do my back (or knees) any favors and at twenty-seven, I'd rather not introduce joint pain.  So, I set Henry down and he fussed a little until I gave him a "big boy" job to do.  All in all, there were fewer tears that evening.  I think I'll put "toddler-wearing" into rotation as a possible afternoon or evening tool, but I'll save it for the major meltdowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!