MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Henry's baptism

Henry still smells slightly like the chrism oil used at his baptism. It's beautiful. We've had a wonderfully busy long-weekend; it was full of friends and family, household projects (!!!!), and good food. In fact, there is still a large portion of gluten-free cheesecake in the refrigerator, but that is neither here nor there.

The baptism took place during Mass at our church this Sunday and it went as well as it possibly could have. Henry was relatively content throughout the majority of Mass and he didn't mind the water during the actual baptism. He fell asleep on my shoulder after we changed him into his baptismal gown. As a quick aside, I think it is a little unfortunate that many boys these days are baptized in little suits rather than gowns. The gowns are so traditional and lovely. I suppose it really doesn't matter what garment is used, so long as it is meaningful. We decided to use Evelyn's gown because I like the idea of creating family traditions whenever possible.

My husband's family was able to fly out for the weekend, as was my best friend from college. I love the bustle of a full house. Something about growing up as the oldest child of four has ensured that I feel at home in a large family setting. It was just lovely to see everyone, even if the fact that I have two very small children makes it quite difficult to socialize or entertain as I might like to.

Here is Henry on his big day, isn't he just a doll?




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the smell of the chrism oil! For some reason it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. I'm not sure why this happens with me but I have been trying to get it off of Jane. :) It takes a while!

    I'm glad that it went well. Henry looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Henry! I love the idea of a family baptism dress. My mom and all her siblings were baptized in the same dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, love the "!!!" after "household projects". I had a great time helping you get to a few of those projects :) But it was fun just hanging out with you, Chris, Henry, and Evelyn. Visits always seem too short!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I think the oil has worn off quite a bit by now, so it just has a slight fragrance. I would agree that it is pretty strong initially!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!