MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Monday, August 23, 2010

If you don't have anything nice to say. . .

Last week was rough. I'll admit it. I sincerely hope that this week (and next week, and so on) is better. It seems to me that juggling a household, a newborn, and a toddler is one part delicate dance, one part sheer luck. No matter how much I prepare things ahead of time and try to plan activities I think Evelyn will enjoy around times I think Henry will be happily sleeping in a carrier or a sling, there are kinks. Sometimes Evelyn is just overtired and cranky. Sometimes it's Henry. Sometimes it is me! Anyway, I am making a concerted effort to look on the bright side. So I will try my best to set the temper tantrums aside (there are rain boots and socks scattered around the backyard courtesy of this morning's tantrum).

Yesterday, I took Evelyn to Home Depot. A mother-daughter trip, just the two of us. We picked out some light bulbs and some boring household things and then I let her choose a plant for the garden. She chose another lavender plant. Excellent choice, I think. I love the scent and I really think they're quite pretty. We also bought some hen-and-chicks and some bright red begonias.

This morning, once Henry was settled down for a morning nap, I set up the baby monitor and took a slightly cranky Evelyn out to the front garden bed. We dug holes and planted flowers. Henry woke up and joined us, rather unhappily. We watered the flowers. I hope that this activity was somewhat enjoyable for Evelyn. I think she liked it-- it did involve digging! My next project is to mulch the front bed. This is a huge undertaking for me because the bed is easily twenty feet long and pretty wide. It will be worth it though!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing an amazing job. I'm sure it will get easier to manage as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you had a rough week! Mine was similar. Challenging little babies ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!