MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I'm trying my best

. . . that is my motto lately, my mantra. By the end of the day, I am more exhausted-- physically and emotionally-- than I've ever been. Taking care of two small children is hard work! It doesn't help that we've been having a mini heatwave in the Pacific Northwest. Today, Chris met us for dinner so that we could get out of the heat and enjoy some air conditioning.

Evelyn heard the music at the Indian restaurant and she told us that she really liked it. Then she thought for a moment and added, "it sounds like China." The music was a little reminiscent of the tune that plays in one particular "Thomas and Friends" episode in which a train from China has come to Thomas' island, Sodor. Yes, I know more about this program than I ever hoped to know, but sometimes I need a brief distraction for a cranky girl while I ive Henry my full attention.

I'm no fan of plopping a child in front of the TV in lieu of actually interacting with her and helping her engage with her real environment, and I love the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood. We don't watch any TV shows that feature commercials because before age seven or eight (possibly later for some kids?), children don't realize that the purpose of the ad is to sell them something and I just think it is ridiculous to take advantage of kids like this. Along these lines, it drives me nuts to see how much even PBS advertises for itself during programs so that "PBS kids" becomes its own brand to which tots owe their loyalty.

Nevertheless, I cannot be in two places at once. Sometimes Evelyn is overtired and has a really hard time waiting for my full attention. Would I rather she watch twenty minutes of Thomas the train or whine or cry and hang off of my leg while I try to put a sleeping newborn into his swing (unsuccessfully thanks to the aforementioned whining and crying and leg-hanging)? Most of the time though, Evelyn keeps busy either in the backyard or the playroom. She is very interested in playing pretend-- especially when it involves pretend cooking and food. She loves to "chew" the imaginary food and she makes sure that I "chew" mine as well. Usually, Henry snuggles in my lap, in the Moby wrap, or smiles at us from his blanket on the floor.

Speaking of Henry, he's already learned to roll over from his tummy onto his back. He has been pretty strong from birth-- able to hold his head quite steady for a newborn and able to push himself up into a mini push-up. Evelyn was like this too, so I think this early physicality must be in our genes. He is also smiling and "talking" quite a bit. Evelyn loves it when Henry "talks" to her (of course she does, she loves to talk!) and she rewards him with a kiss. I try to think of sweet moments like these when I am dizzy with fatigue and can barely keep my eyes open at the end of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Great motto! It has been difficult here lately and I keep trying to remind myself of the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!