The mild weather has drawn us outdoors almost every day this week and one of the major results of our time in our yard and out in our neighborhood has been the firming up of landscape architecture plans for our outdoor space. I should add as a disclaimer that I have no real training in landscape architecture but I do have a bit of the theoretical and historical background under my belt (thanks to an elective I took during school).
I like to imagine that I can come up with some practical use for this information. Enter: the wooded area in our backyard.
I'd like to clean up the pile of paving stones left behind by the previous owners, dig out the poison ivy that has engulfed the base of the stone bird bath and replant much of the area with native ferns and some small boulders or large rocks to sort of anchor the space. We also need to find a way to remove a downed tree trunk that visually bisects our yard. Our property extends a good twenty feet beyond it and we'd like to take advantage of the area! Next on the list is the "rock river" which the previous owners found aesthetically appealing.

My plan is to remove any rocks we would like to use in other parts of the yard or in our gardens; we'll add clean fill and grass seed to the "river" this Spring.It does not serve a drainage purpose and it takes up prime grass real estate. We have a little one who loves to run around and play in the backyard, so we'd like to open it up as much as possible. All of this sounds quite simple, but I can't do much heavy lifting while pregnant. Perhaps I'll put Evie on a weight-lifting regimen to get her in shape for the yard work? Oh well, we'll work it out. I am looking forward to a slightly more structured "after" shot of the wooded area. Stay tuned.
If you need help some weekend, give us a call! LLV and I are happy to help!
ReplyDelete