MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Just put one foot in front of the other

It's been a while since I've written about our house. This lapse in coverage, so to speak, is largely due to the fact that I have been scheming and planning project after project and we just never had a chance to get to any of them (here is where I mumble something about pregnancy, a busy toddler, and other commitments). Ironically, Chris and I have also had quite a few conversations about how much fun it would be to undertake a joint project. I know, I just used the word "fun" in reference to a husband and wife home-improvement project, but we're still relative newly weds so let's allow this one to slide. Fast-forward through Christmas and New Year's Day and there we were in Home Depot, loading our cart with new light fixtures and paint for the entrance and hallway.

I have been envisioning a cosmetic overhaul for the hallway and front two bedrooms since we moved in. We already painted and redecorated our master bedroom, and our kitchen (which is a big open room that includes our family room). The bathrooms are waiting patiently for my Dad's help since neither Chris nor I have tinkered with humongous cabinets, bathroom sinks, vanity lighting and the likes. The grand plan involves removing the old carpeting and extending hardwood floors into that segment of the house (unless I can find some great allergen-free, chemical-free carpet to put down in its place). We also plan to replace the bedroom and closet doors and repaint the trim and possibly add crown molding.

My head begins to spin just thinking about accomplishing these tasks while Evie teeters on a ladder somewhere or trips over rolled-up carpets. Nonetheless, in our big-picture thinker meets one-action-item-at-a-time thinker manner, we miraculously agreed that 2010 would be a year for doing, even if it is just one step at a time. Also, those home depot gift cards from our parents certainly didn't hurt! We can't make our first house into our hands-down dream house in just one shot, but we can continue to work toward that goal.


On an unrelated note, I can feel the tiny movements of baby-on-board and I can't believe I'd already forgotten how absolutely amazing it is.

2 comments:

  1. One step at a time is the only way to handle it. My goals for the winter are to finish Moira's room and the living room, but I haven't gotten very far on either of those projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little bumps and flutters are amazing aren't they! If you guys need help doing anything around the house, give us a call! We redid our master bath and have done some other projects around the house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!