Evelyn is nearing the eighteen month mark and she has become quite verbal; I am really enjoying this stage. It is endlessly entertaining to ask her to say a new word, something I do because she enjoys saying new words-- not simply for my own pleasure. Today, for instance, she learned to say the words "flexible" and "attention." She has also been stringing three words together into sentences pretty regularly: "Cut the carrot, please" (please is usually signed at this point) or "Where the doll?"
I'm not sure what the main catalyst for this language development is, probably a combination of genetics and her environment-- all of the talking, reading, and singing that we do in our daily lives. I suspect that reading has played a large part. Books are always available and Evie is aware that Mama and Daddy are always working on a book or two. We assembled a display-style bookshelf in addition to the totes of books in the living room.
We have been reading to Evelyn since she was born and for the past several months she has taken a special interest in reading her own books or nursery rhymes. She has memorized quite a few of the stories. I sang a rhyme to her in the car today and stopped short; my attention momentarily pulled away from the song. Not to worry, Evie took over! Chris told me later that she has been finishing the rhymes with him for a few days. Chris sings most of the line and then pauses for Evie to finish it. Here is their favorite: "Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye. Four-and-twenty blackbirds baked in a pie. When the pie was opened, the birds began to sing. Wasn't that a dainty dish to put before the king?"
At any rate, it is a lot of fun to watch Evie develop a passion for reading and language and I am continually amazed by the things that pop out of her mouth; I love having a little window into her mind.
She is so good with language. I'm always amazed by how verbal she is.
ReplyDeleteThat's great that she's so communicative with you! It really makes things so much easier doesn't it?
ReplyDelete