MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

One for the books. . . the baby book, that is.

My heart was almost irreparably damaged today.  E has her first bruise-- a nice, half dollar-sized pink bump above her left eye.  She also had the wind knocked out of her and had a hard time catching her breath.  From the sound of her sobs, you would have thought she had broken an arm (she didn't, believe me) or fractured a rib (in fact, her bubble-blowing pediatrician assured me that everything looked fine*) and it just broke my heart.  

How did she get this awful bump, you ask?  Five words I thought I would be able to avoid:  she fell off the bed.  And I was right there, at the foot of the bed where I read as she slept.  The only other preventative measure I could have taken would have been to hold her in my arms as she slept but since she's a healthy 22.8 pounds, I'm quite sure that my arms would have fallen asleep after the first hour or so.  

She recovered and enjoyed her evening shenanigans with Daddy.  Their latest fun game involves tossing a big blanket over themselves while E giggles and sneaks peeks at Mama from beneath the "tent."  Still, I feel awful:  baby's first bruise.

*Our usual doctor was out today so we saw the on-call doc.  He was basically Patch Adams.

2 comments:

  1. Poor E! But, I think it is a rite of passage...for you and for her! Its one of those inevitable things that just happens to most mothers and children! As for me, I fell off bunk beds...the TOP bunk! And one time when I was babysitting, one of the little girls (about 2 and a half at the time) decided it would be a good idea to sit at the top of the stairs with her back towards the bottom. When I saw where she was, I told her not to sit there as I walked over to remove her from the awaiting danger...and lo and behlod, as I am almost there, she tips backwards and literally rolls down the (carpeted) stairs! I was mortified! She was perfectly fine, aside from the screams of terror...haaaaaaa it was horrible! But I think it was more the fact that she was scared, rather than hurt. Anyway, don't beat yourself up too much! E is bound to get more scrapes and bruises as she grows up, and all you can do is kiss them and make them better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moira fell off a hotel bed right after she'd started crawling, and I was sitting right next to her. I felt so bad!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!