For instance, we really like a house just north of Redmond, in Woodinville. The house sits on over an acre of land with plenty of trees and wildlife on the property. In terms of privacy, this house has it all. You cannot see any neighboring houses from the house and, for much of the year, the same is true for the yard. The interior is lovely. The only real "updates" we would consider would be cosmetic. The kitchen is one of the few we've seen that hasn't been recently updated with granite counters or a stainless steel fridge, but it is pretty spacious and the custom cabinetry would not need replacing. The neighborhood seems close-knit, despite the large lot sizes and the only traffic we saw while touring the property was of the equestrian variety.
But. . . what about city life? Are we really ready to officially declare our country mouse status? I think Chris is prepared to opt out of downtown living; he has never claimed to be a lover of cities. My biggest concern is that I will end up completely alone in this big house in the country, missing out on the social interactions that seem to come more frequently in densely-populated communities.
The thing is, after living in cities or even in downtown areas, you still have to make some effort to seek out these social opportunities. After all, city life is not exactly communal living . . . that is a completely different option altogether.
For ecological reasons, I do feel somewhat guilty for even considering purchasing a big old chunk of land for a family of three.
There are just so many implications to our decision. I wish I could have E's input! She is the one who will be growing up in the neighborhood we choose, playing pretend in the house we make a home, building forts in the yard. . . .
Is the house far from the city? I think, E would love a house with a huge yard...I know that when I was a kid, I LOVED living out in the country and being able to make all the rucus I wanted, while tromping around the yard and surrounding fields and woods with my buddies. But, I understand your point about living in the city. When I was in Brazil I lived almost downtown (ok a suburb of downtown, but i could walk there in like 10 minutes) and it was GREAT to have everything so close. Now that I am back in Palmyra, I definitely miss the city! But, when I was in the city, I really missed having a yard to lay out in, play with my puppy in etc...So its a win-win situation, or a lose-lose situation...depends on how you want to look at it! ;) As for the family of three, dilemma, you'll just have to have a couple more babies, so you don't feel guilty for living on a large amount of land. hahaha :)
ReplyDeleteHaha, I know what you mean about the ability to romp around outdoors and enjoy childhood! I think that is why we lean towards country-ish settings right now. We're currently living in a gorgeous spot on the lake, five miles to Seattle, one mile to downtown Kirkland (our town), and like three miles to a huge amazing mall. . . but honestly, how often do I go to the mall or drive into Seattle? Maybe five times a month? We wouldn't be too far from those things, actually, you know the distance between Palmyra and Eastview Mall? It would be less than that. Hopefully not too traumatizing! Haha.
ReplyDeleteI think I would totally go for a countryish setting if you still won't be too far from "civilization" hahaha. But I imagine it's a tough decision, buying your first house! I am sure wherever you guys decide will be wonderful and you will definitely make it into a fabulous HOME for you family! That's what is important! ;) When are you coming back east for a visit?!
ReplyDelete