MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

There's been a breach in security!

Sound the alarms! Well, not really. I might be slightly escalating the level of drama appropriate to the situation. But, given my recent thoughts on keeping baby names on the down-low until birth, I am certainly a bit frustrated with myself. What am I talking about, you wonder?

It all begins with excitement and an innate desire to trust one's confidante. Several months ago, I was chatting with a close family member and mentioned a couple of boy names that I really like. I purposely tossed a couple of names out so that she couldn't say for certain what the name would ultimately be if baby was a boy. Well, baby is a boy and anything remotely resembling priviledged information zooms around my family as though the President's life depended on it. Seriously, I love my family to pieces but secrets, good news, bad news, gossip . . . there is just no such thing as keeping it to oneself.

Of course, in my excitement, I had temporarily lost my senses and forgotten this crucial information. I did ask Mystery Family Member to keep it to herself because we weren't settled on a name and we wanted it to be a surprise. I'm sure that she thought she was keeping it to herself by only telling one other person. Anyway, I blame myself for the fact that, yesterday as we chatted on the phone and I wished him a "Happy Birthday," my Dad was teasing me about naming our son X. I immediately got defensive but let him know that the name was really just one out of a couple of names. The frustrating part for me, though, is that I love that name and now if we incorporate it I'll have my Dad's voice in my head telling me "not to do that to his grandson" (because apparently this name is a punishment). The moral of the story? Never share information with members of my family that you wouldn't want the entire family to know. Lesson learned. Again.

And, for the record, I still love the name X (and no, it isn't really "X").

5 comments:

  1. I've always prefered Q.
    We had a friend who just could not stand not knowing what names we were planning to name Moira (before she was born, of course), I finally promised to tell him both names after she was born just to get him to stop asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that a few people in my family didn't like my oldest daughter's name. Now they say that it really suits her ... and they say this in a good way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must try to remember that while other's input is frustrating at this point, once your beautiful awesome boy is here - they'll be silenced. People have a very easy time being critical of a "thought" but very challenging time (unless you're my family!) of a REAL person. I know this is very easy to say as a bystander but I went through this with Rhayna's name. Everyone has known for YEARS that this was my girl's name and when I was pregnant (and didn't know if it was a girl or boy) people BEGGED me not to name her that or "at least spell it an easier way" along with a myriad of other rude, out of line, and inappropriate commentary.
    Name your baby what YOU want to name him. He's YOUR son and erase that tape of your dad's critical voice in your head. Replace it with the wonderful positive thoughts and reasons you love the name and remember that this name is currently an _abstract_ thought but soon will be a very concrete person with a personality, charisma, charm, and just a big bundle of love - the criticism will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After we told people E's name, most asked how her nickname came from that. :) There was clearly judgement behind it for some people, but every day, her full name and nickname suit her more and more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!