MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Going Home: Part One

After almost two years away from my hometown, I've learned that it isn't as static as I once imagined. The town has changed right along with me. While we certainly recognized each other, there were some surprises. New shopping centers have claimed land that once rolled into the horizon, supporting old farmhouses. The change is not necessarily negative, it has drawn more business into the area, but it has also irreversibly altered both the physical landscape and the local market.

People, of course, have grown and changed in all sorts of ways and my family is no exception. My youngest sibling now a man, my younger sister a stunning bride, my youngest sister a hard-working mother with a new internship. But in all of the ways that matter, we are the same. The playful teasing and the easy conversation. All of the women in my family, when we are together, fall into an excited and animated talk. Our words and laughter tangle together until we are finishing the sentences and thoughts of one another.

One of the most lovely sights has been my daughter and my mother, giggling and playing easily. Evelyn loved her grandmother instantly. I think she just knew. In fact, Evie has slipped quite comfortably into relationships with family members she'd never before seen, taking my grandfather by the hand and offering pebbles and rocks. She hugged all of her aunts and uncles and cousins. I am so proud of her and I can't wait to begin the next leg of our trip so that the rest of our family can experience the joy that Evelyn seems to spread everywhere she goes. Evie as a one -year-old has a contagious, even palpable happiness and it must be shared!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED seeing you!!! Ad meeting Chris, and Evie of course!!! She is a dear sweet girl, I just loved her!!!! And so smart, just like her mommy! (and daddy I am sure!!!) I was so impressed at how well she interacted!! What a smart, fun baby!!!! And it really was just SO wonderful to see you again after all this time!! We've both grown so much, but it was so nice to feel our friendship continue!!! I hope it will continue like this forever! :) You are a great, great friend!!!! You will always be ranked among my best and most true friendships (and there are very few!!!!) THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!