MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Toddlers do this, right?

Curse the day that Web MD, shiny and new, first enabled nervous mothers to input "symptoms" and diagnose their little ones with all manner of serious illnesses. For the past two (three?) weeks, Evelyn has been pausing-- sometimes in the middle of play-- to squat for a few seconds. We thought nothing of it at first, because, don't all toddlers squat? It's a newfound skill, it must be exercised! But she keeps doing it and we are wondering if everything is all right. (No, she isn't constipated, so that's not the issue at hand.)

Today I did an internet search for "toddler squatting" and one of the first articles to pop up included this frightening tidbit. I called our ND (because she will personally return my call, unlike the call service at the pediatricians) and I am sure that she will tell me that she does not think Evie has a congenital heart disease. Still, those words make me nervous.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I have done this many times (not for baby but for myself!!!) And it never does me any good, because I always worry and nothing comes of it!! I am sure Evie is ok, but you should have it checked out, as it will give YOU peace of mind. :) I can only imagine how nervous you are, I hope everything turns out all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....random thought, as I certainly have no medical or child background, but is she perhaps squatting and urinating?? Maybe it is more comfortable???? Just a random idea...but who knows??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her doc thinks everything is normal and she may have a little bit of an upset tummy or she may just using her new squatting position for the novelty of it. So that is good to know. Apparently there would be other symptoms if it was related to a heart issue (not mentioned on Web MD of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear! Web MD can be fabulous, but it also can be so worrisome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moira squats while she's wlaking around all the time. Sometimes she's checking her balance (she's also started sticking one leg out really far and trying to stand like that for awhile), and sometimes she's obviously peeing.
    I usually stay far away from the internet when she does something odd, because the answer is never "Your child is healthy and normal!" But that is usually the actual answer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!