MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-changes

We are definitely a family in flux. Our new house (and the whole neighborhood actually) is great! It is exciting to be in our first house together and we feel blessed to be in this position. I mean, a few years ago we were both living with roommates in college. Nevertheless, routines, scenery, sleeping-- everything is fairly "off" for the time being. Boxes, though dwindling in number, comprise much of our indoor space and we are still making decisions about several large purchases (furniture, mostly). If this is stressful for us, as adults, it is doubly so for our little Evie. She's even taken to grinding her baby teeth a couple of times.

I have been giving her a lot of extra physical touch, especially at night, to reassure her that everything is indeed OK, but the past few days were awful for her. She had her first real fever. It reached 103.5 F and she was just miserable. We spent a few hours on Saturday at the pediatrician's office. She had a test that induced heart-breaking cries. And honestly, I cried too. How can you hold your baby down and look at her red, puffy eyes without tearing up? How? Fortunately, everything looked normal. She just had a high fever, no other symptoms, no good explanation. And this morning, the fever broke. Evie slept in Dada's arms during much of Mass, and then kept sleeping in the Ergo carrier.

I am hopeful that this week will bring some calm to our household. Although I've only been able to secure help for three hours this week, I plan on using that time to set up our bedroom and try to unpack the rest of the living room so that we can have some comfortable, clean spaces to play. We're also picking up a preschool play gym of sorts, though it remains to be seen whether Evie will actually set aside her interest in the endless number of pine cones, rocks and sticks her new backyard has to offer. And, most of all, I am hoping that we will all begin to get more sleep!

*Disclaimer: plenty of lovely, happy things have happened this week, too. No Debbie Downer here! We met the neighbors and were invited to their annual BBQ. They're a great couple and we had a lot of fun. Evie and I also enjoyed going to the second meeting of the newly-formed LLL chapter nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!