MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Twenty-Somethings

They're supposed to be young and beautiful and carefree, right? And style-savvy. I think I felt cute and stylish once, for about fifteen minutes in eighth grade before some angst-ridden peer noticed that I was looking rather confident that day and decided to make a snide remark about my clothing. (Ah middle school, and yet many people insist that school is the place kids learn about "social skills," haha. But I digress.)

Oh how I still detest Abercrombie & Fitch, and yes, those $95 jeans did come with the "dirty" and faded knees. Anyway, I've been thinking a bit about style this morning and how I might consider reclaiming or reinventing mine. Ann Taylor Loft is often my destination of choice, but I can't help wonder if its target demographic isn't a solid two decades away from me? I am not talented enough to design and create my own cute tops and A-line skirts (and where on earth I would be wearing a skirt, I do not know), so that option is temporarily out. I think I am stuck in a rut. I have never in my life been a sweatpants girl, but I've also never been a skinny jeans girl either. Actually, I'm always mistaken for older than I am (unless I pull my hair back, in which case I am instantly called "sweetheart" and "honey" and treated like a kid). Maybe it's the fact that I have a daughter, but I think it is probably the plain-Jane uniform of a top and jeans and the decidedly un-stylish flip-flops (although this winter I did purchase a pair of ballet flats).

So, what are twenty-something women supposed to wear? (And thirty-somethings, too, for that matter?) There must be something better than a cotton top and dark jeans. These concerns are largely superficial of course, but I do think it is important to take some personal pride in one's appearance and I am not content with the stereotype of the harried Mom schlepping around town with stains on her shirt, even if I do perpetuate it from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. I have found the show, "What not to wear" to be ridiculously VAIN but SO helpful for my own personal style crisis!!! Its kind of dumb, but it is nice to see what kind of clothes flatter which body types, colors and patterns that work together (even though I never thought they would!!) etc! So I recommend that...it is entertaining and interesting ;) PS I always thought you had fabulous style!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I have definitely watched that show. When Evelyn was a newborn and spending lots of time snuggled against me, I indulged my TLC guilty pleasure. I know the "rules," but I when I shop, I end up grabbing the cheapest clearance shirts without much thought as to what on earth I'd pair them with. I need a shopping buddy! My lovely husband just tells me everything looks beautiful (even more so if it is on sale). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA I know how you feel!!! I always go for what is cheap even if it doesn't flatter me as it should ;) My husband is actually a decent shopping buddy- he tells me when he thinks something is hideous at least :) haha But I also need a female shopping companion that is not 14 and whose favorite store is abercrombie and fitch, or hollister! Come back east and we can be shopping buddies :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!