We didn't water-ski, but we went on countless boat rides. I loved to feel the wind whip through my hair and I ignored the inevitable tangles. It felt like flying. We spent hours swimming in the lake and playing on the smooth slate rocks-- nature's slip-n-slides! The zebra muscles were sharp and the rocks were hot but we rarely stopped to put on water shoes before traipsing into the cool water. There is a feeling of immense freedom and inherent pleasure to be found in the shutting of one's eyes on a hot summer day. Laying back on a warm dock to dry after a swim, family (and cold drinks) close by.
I hope with all of my heart that Evelyn will have many memories like these. Memories which, for me, because of their innocence and unadulterated happiness, outshine and outlast the painful ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!