Most parents avoid exposing their children to smoke (I'm talking about the non-campfire variety here). We actually very rarely see anyone smoking where we live, but if we're standing around and notice that someone is smoking, we're likely to cross the street or find somewhere else to go. More pervasive than cigarette smoke, is the public chiding of one's spouse. You can cut the tension with a knife and depending on your level of awareness, it can ruin your nice family outing or your day at the beach.
I like to keep a positive tone here, but this really drives me nuts. So, here is my PSA: Attention strangers, neighbors, and acquaintances, it is incredibly awkward (and rather upsetting for my children) to witness your tense interaction with your spouse. If you can't handle going for more than an hour without belittling your partner, I am so sorry. It's even more sad when children are involved and seem totally unfazed by the situation because they're used to it. My kids, however, are not familiar with your squabbles. Please, save the passive-aggressive jabs and comments for a time when you'll be in private. You know, like therapy?
Was that too harsh? Ah well, I'll be back to my bright-side self next time.
I think I might be a little in love with you right now. Sigh. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
ReplyDeleteThat is also one of my biggest pet peeves. Moira hasn't seemed to notice it yet, but it always grates on my nerves.
ReplyDelete