MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Mama Cooks: Pretty as Potpourri

This week, my CSA box contained an assortment of summer squashes.  I learned that the vast majority of them were of the "patty pan" variety.  To be honest, they look like the beautiful gourds I use to fill decorative bowls in the autumn, not unlike potpourri.  As it turns out, many of these "gourds" are perfectly edible, flesh and all.  Over the past year, I have expanded my squash repertoire well beyond the acorn and butternut varieties.  Still, I hadn't had patty pan squash until tonight and I was nervous to prepare them. 


Will they be hard to cut?  I wondered.  One tentative slice and I was relieved!  They're very similar to zucchini.  They were easy as can be to chop into 1/4 inch slices.  Because I cook dairy-free, I just used olive oil, sea salt, and pepper but I imagine pasture butter would add nice flavor too.  I sauteed the squash until soft-- but not mushy-- and slightly tan at the edges. 



I served them with assorted salted potatoes and grilled chicken breast (field roast sausage for my vegetarian husband).



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!