Pretty clips, pony tails, braids. . . we are fully initiated into the realm of toddler hair styling. And yet, Evelyn's long, baby-fine bangs slip into her eyes each day. After some discussion, Chris and I decided that while we did not want to cut Evie's hair yet (no baby's first lock of hair for the baby book), we do value her ability to see clearly. It was time for a little trim.
I should preface this post with a disclosure. I have a small pet-peeve when it comes to children's hair styles: your child can sport whatever style she likes, but please, please do not give her bangs that begin at the top of her head. These thick, bowl-cut resembling bangs do favors for no one. Honestly, it is not flattering and it looks a bit odd. With this minor consideration in mind, I took Evelyn to Common Folk Kids in Bellevue for a bangs trim.
The stylist was wonderful with little ones and she completely agreed that Evie's bangs just needed a little trim. Evelyn got to climb into a red race car. She wore a colorful cape (for about thirty seconds). She could tell that this would be serious business, best handled without the help of a jazzy '80's print. It's a good thing Mama was fast with the camera, Dada has a photo from his baby years just like this one and the resemblance is uncanny! We will have to find it for a side-by-side comparison.
Before Evie could blink, the stylist handed her a bucket of little toys and went to work snipping about an inch off of her bangs. Evidently she could sense what kind of gal Evelyn is, because there was a rubik's cube in the box and Evelyn loved it. It was just like Dada's.
Three minutes and $7 later, we were finished! Evelyn got a bright green balloon and she was quite interested in it. (This was surprising since she has been terrified of them lately.) We shared a cup of navy bean soup and chicken salad at Thyme for Soup and then headed over to Bed, Bath, & Beyond to check out the "Beyond." While browsing the drapes, the balloon mysteriously became free and floated to the rafters of the store. Evelyn pointed this out to me, and while she seemed agitated, I am not sure if she was upset that the balloon had escaped or if she was hoping for some recognition (I tied a tight knot around the stroller handle, Evelyn must have been working at it for a while).
Why didn't I just trim her bangs on my own at home, sans race car? Although I am quite adept at nursing while cleaning the kitchen and talking to my sister on the phone while composing a poem in iambic pentameter, I have not yet mastered the duel role of hair stylist/ photographer. Maybe next time.
What an adventurous little girl, just like her Aunt Jessica.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Evie! She looks super chic in the red race car with her newly styled bangs! :)
ReplyDelete