MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Is There a "Raindance" to Invoke Calm Travels?

Before traveling anywhere by plane with Evelyn, we have taken to holding a ceremonial "week of worry" in our household.* If I conjure up every possible combination of potential disasters at the airport or on the plane or while visiting relatives, I'll be prepared to handle them, right? Of course, this is almost never the case. I spend countless hours and days worrying about things over which I have little-to-no control; I know that Evie senses my stress. She is hugging me more and waking every hour at night.

We are practicing our relaxation and trying to remain calm in the midst of household errands (the mortgage isn't going to pay itself!) and preparing for a fourteen-hour day of travel. We've been listening to Enya and our favorite Ani Difranco songs (from her album, "Red Letter Year") and driving through the countryside and playing at the park. This seems to help Evelyn a lot. She has taken to falling asleep in the car, a skill I hope will translate into even a small amount of sleep on the airplane.
I have lists of carry-on items, clothes to pack, and a bridesmaid dress to remember. I'm sure we'll forget something, but hopefully it won't be the things essential for a somewhat smooth flight: car seat, water, diapers/wipes, snacks, a few books and toys for Evie, earplugs. . . I jest. But all of the travel will absolutely pay off when I have the honor of standing next to my younger sister on her wedding day.

I am so glad she has found her love, someone as hardworking and as playful as she. I'm thrilled that they are entering into a brand new marriage. It's going to be such a beautiful day, and the start of a truly wonderful new life for them. And really, it has been way too long since my sisters and brother and I have been in the same state, let alone the same room. I can't wait for Evie to be a part of it all, even if it means enduring a few hassles on the way.

*This is only our second round-trip flight with Evie, so I have high hopes that our worry-fest will become a thing of the past as she gets older.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure things will go well! :) Try not to worry too much, there will probably be a few trials, but I am sure in the end it will be great!!! How exciting for Jessica and your family! I can't wait to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!