MamaCumLaude

Trying my best.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Happy One Month to Henry and Happy Hour, seriously!

Henry is four weeks old today and after a morning spent at the pediatrician's office for a well-baby visit (hello Mr. Eleven pounds, two ounces!) and an unpleasant drive home (screaming, overtired toddler), the whole family was ready for a nap. Alas, today was not the day for parent naps. A couple of weeks ago, I booked our favorite babysitter to come and play with Evelyn. At the time, I wasn't sure what we would do with our precious three hours of free time. Today was absolutely gorgeous though, so it seemed a shame to hole up in our bedroom napping or catching up on chores. Also, adjusting to life with two children has been a lot of work-- as in, Chris and I barely have time to say two words to each other that aren't related to a to-do list or one of the aforementioned children. So, we decided to go out "on a date." Henry, of course, would come with us. Since he's a nursing newborn he and I are a package deal.

It's funny actually, the thought of having a relaxing date with a baby when Evelyn was a newborn would have made me laugh (or maybe cry?) hysterically because we were still green in the ways of parenthood. Today, however, going out with just a newborn instead of both Henry and Evelyn, felt like a little vacation! Chris suggested that we catch a movie and then get some ice cream outside in the sunshine before heading home; I thought this sounded like a lovely idea. I wore Henry in the Ergo and we bought overpriced treats and settled into our seats. A couple of patrons glanced at us, probably wondering if our baby would spoil their movie. Henry was sound asleep (and I knew that he would nurse quietly if he woke up-- he is a very happy, relaxed newborn right now). I whispered to Chris, "I hope the sound isn't too loud." The previews and ads were a little loud, but not even loud enough to wake Henry. I wasn't too worried about his little ears at that point. Unfortunately, as soon as our movie started, it seemed as if someone had turned it up all the way to eleven (Spinal Tap anyone?). Chris and I looked at each other and we quietly left. The girl working the ticket booth refunded our money, probably thinking that we were nuts to bring a baby in the first place. Oh well.

We headed to our old stomping grounds (near our old apartment) and walked along the lake front before spotting a Mediterranean restaurant with outdoor seating. We ordered some tapas (half-priced for Happy Hour!) and drinks and had a real conversation. Henry slept in the Ergo for most of our date, though he did wake up to nurse. The breeze off of the lake felt wonderful, almost as calming as the sensation that came over me as I heard a toddler squealing in the distance and realized I wasn't responsible for him or her.

After crawling along the highway during rush hour, we returned home to a very happy Evelyn. She enjoyed a couple of hours of high-energy play in the backyard and some tasty snacks. Chris made dinner for all of us, Henry napped in his swing after nursing a few more times and we started to get ready for bed. It was a pretty lovely day.

2 comments:

  1. I think all the momma movies are early in the monring (like, 10:30).
    How wonderful that you got time together. And on such a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fabulous time. :) Isn't is amazing how the 2nd baby can be so much less stressful? The movie reminded me of I when I brought Janie out to see the fireworks a couple of weeks ago. They were just a little too loud! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!